Have you ever woken up in the morning thinking about what to make for breakfast apart from tea and bread? It happens to everyone.
Today at Dee’s Mealz, we will be talking about how to make one of the popular breakfast recipes known as Pap or Akamu or Koko.
Pap can be eaten by both adult and babies. it can also be served with Bread, Akara, Fried yam, sweet Potatoes etc.
I will be telling you how to prepare it from scratch. It’s quite easy to make. All you will be needing is the Guinea Corn, Ginger (fresh or dried) and cloves. For today, I will be using the dried ginger. If you will prefer the fresh ginger, 5 pieces will be enough.
The ginger added to the Pap is to make it spicy and the cloves give it a nice smell.
You can also watch the video below for the pap preparation.
The steps below will show you how to make Pap from scratch:
- 4 tins of guinea corn
- 7 pieces of ginger
- 1 tablespoon of cloves
- Soak the guinea corn over night to make it soft and easy to grind.
- Wash it the next day with water twice, add the ginger, clove. Add a little water, mix well and take for grinding.
- Turn the paste into a medium size basin add 1 liter of water and mix well with a spatula.
- Get another empty bowl and a head tie like sieve. Spread the sieve in the empty bowl, using a cup, fetch the paste and add to the bowl with the sieve and sieve it. When most of the liquid is separated from the chaff, squeeze it, to get all the liquid out. Continue this process until you are done with sieving.
- Turn the liquid into a plastic with cover and allow to settle before using.
To preserve it, you can put it in the fridge or outside the fridge. But if it is outside the fridge, the water needs to be changed every day to avoid it fermenting.
That was easy right? So, with that done, we will be making the Pap now since the liquid is all settled. I allowed mine to stay overnight.
- 2 tablespoons of raw pap
- Sugar or Honey
Add 500ml of water into a pot, set on heat and allow to boil.
Fetch 3 tablespoons of the raw pap and put into a cup or small bowl and mix.
Add the boiling water to the paste till it turns thick.
Stir with a spoon to avoid making lumps.
Add the sugar or honey to taste.
Add the milk (powdered or liquid) and stir. Serve while hot.
Do enjoy. More recipes on the way.